In no particular order:
- Thimerosal in vaccines
- MMR vaccines
- Too many vaccines weakening a child's immune system
- Aluminum in vaccines
- Human fetal tissue in vaccines
- Air Pollution
- Excessive Androgen Exposure During Fetal Development
- Genetic Mutation
- Assortative Mating of Brainy, Socially Awkward Types
- The Internet
- Overactivity of the Endogenous Opioid System (PDF)
- Meat Eating
- Vitamin D Deficiency (PDF)
- Your Mom
- Your mom's age (PDF)
- Your mom's failure to bond with you when you were a baby
- Your mom was sick while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom was taking antidepressants while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom was taking anticonvulsants while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom had you via C-section
- Your mom conceived you using in vitro fertilization
- Your mom had you too soon after she had your next-oldest sibling
- Your mom gained too much weight during pregnancy
- Your mom did not have good nutrition while she was pregnant with you (1,2)
- Your mom smoked while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom had high blood pressure while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom had diabetes while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom had pre-eclampsia while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom gave birth to you prematurely
- Your mom has ADHD
- Your mom was under a lot of stress while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom didn't breastfeed you
- Your mom used hormonal contraceptives at some point in her life
- Your mom had an ultrasound while she was pregnant with you
- Your mom took too many folic acid supplements while she was pregnant with you
- Autoimmune Disease
- Your Dad's Age
- Too Many Connections Between Neurons
- Not Enough Long-Range Connections Between Neurons
- Too Many Short-Range Connections Between Neurons
- Not Enough Long-Range Connections and Too Many Short-Range Connections Between Neurons
- Not Enough Short-Range Connections Between Neurons
- Undergrowth of the Corpus Callosum (PDF)
- Having Autistic Older Siblings
- Electromagnetic Radiation
- Underactivity of Inhibitory Neurons Coupled with Overactivity of Excitatory Neurons (PDF)
- Not Enough Sodium in the Blood
- Dysfunction of the Mirror Neurons (PDF)
- Food Allergies
- Too Much TV
- Excessive Intestinal Permeability
- Early Injury to the Cerebellum
- Early Brain Overgrowth
- Excessive Reactivity and Plasticity of Neural Microcircuits in Specific Areas of the Neocortex and in the Amygdala
- Dysfunction of the Amygdala
- Autistic People Are Human-Neanderthal Hybrids (added 1/24)
- Defective Mitochondria (added 1/24)
- Malfunction of the Methionine Cycle and Transsulfuration Metabolic Pathway, which Leads to Excessive Oxidative Stress (added 1/24)
- Malfunction of the Nitric Oxide Signaling Pathway (added 1/24)
- Trampolines, Bouncy Castles, Stationary Bicycles and Treadmills (added 2/9)
- Drinking Milk (added 4/15)
This is an incomplete list, so feel free to add anything you've heard that I have not listed here in the comments!
I love the idea that circumcision somehow caused my daughters autism :)
Hi there - I found a link to your site on Autistic Hoya's website. I don't see any contact information here so I am hoping that you still get these comments.
My name is Dawn Marcotte and I am looking for autistic adults who might be willing to write an article for my website, www.asd-dr.com.
I want to run a series of articles for autistic teens who are thinking about college. Right now I am hoping for topics like college prep, life skills, things you wish you had known etc. But I am certainly open to other ideas.
I firmly believe in the saying, "Nothing for us without us." As I am not autistic I don't really feel qualified to write these kinds of articles.
If you are interested in this idea could you please contact me? My email is dmarcottefreelance (at) live (dot) com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Given the similarities between some stereotypes of autistic people and some stereotypes of Asian people, I'm almost surprised "You are Asian" and "Your mom is Asian" didn't make the list.
PETA is trying to convince people that dairy causes autism and we should all go vegan or die of autism.
PETA doesn't really seem all that smarty in the head to imply that are they?
Google search "got autism?"
@April 13th Anon -- that's weird, I was sure I already had "drinking milk" on the list, since I have totally seen those bizarre PETA ads before!
Oh, well, it's on there now.
Post a Comment